2016 Membership Meetings-
Spring 2016- Please join us on Wednesday, May 4th in Sturbridge, Massachusetts for our next meeting. See our home page for more information.
Fall- 2016- We will be in Lansing, Michigan to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the founding of the WCGS
2015 Membership Meetings-
Fall 2015– General Membership meeting
- The WCGS general membership met in Charleston, SC on Saturday, Sept 26th, 2015 at the Holiday Inn Express located in Mountt Pleasant, SC. The meeting started 9:00 a.m. and lasted approximately two hours. A detailed agenda and meeting minutes are found in the Fall 2015 edition of the Chamberlain Key.
- WCGS members who attended found help with their family tree, and how to navigate this website.
- Several of us arrived a few days early to enjoy all Charleston has to offer. During the weekend we found time to socialize and renew acquaintances.
Spring 2015– WCGS Executive Board meeting
During our fall 2014 meeting it was decided to hold the spring 2015 board meeting in the Lynchburg/Appomattox, Virginia area the weekend of April 4th. The following week was the 150th anniversary of Lee's surrender to Grant at Appomattox Courthouse. Friday night we gathered for dinner at a local Italian restaurant to renew acquaintances. Saturday, the meeting started around 9:00 a.m. and ran approximately two hours. Minutes of the meeting are available in the Chamberlain Key news letter. Following lunch, we enjoyed a guided tour of many historic sites in the area.
- Fall 2014 WCGS Annual Meeting, Fort Wayne, Indiana- The WCGS membership met in Ft. Wayne, Indiana on Saturday, Sept 6, 2014 at the Allen County Public Library. The meeting started around 9:15 a.m. and lasted approximately three hours. A detailed set of meeting minutes will be published in the next Chamberlain Key. We had several folks join us for the meeting. Some of us did arrive a few days early for research. During the weekend we found time to socialize at dinner Friday and lunch Saturday. It was great to not only make new, but also to renew, acquaintances.
- Spring Executive Board- We held the meeting Monday, April 21, 2014 in the La Quinta Inn, located in Raleigh, North Carolina. WCGS President Ted Chamberlain called the meeting to order at 9:15 a.m. with a quick review of the agenda. He also noted this is the nineteenth time since the inception of the WCGS the board has met. Minutes of the meeting can be found in the spring 2014 edition of the Chamberlain Key publication. Upon adjourning the meeting, the group enjoyed lunch at the nearby Cheesecake Factory restaurant before heading home.
2013 Membership Meetings
- WCGS Annual Meeting, August 9-11, 2013
- We met at the Captain Daniel Stone Inn, Brunswick, Maine. This year’s meeting was earlier than usual to coincide with “Chamberlain Days” because Brunswick is the hometown of Maj. Gen’l Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain. "Chamberlain Days" featured a keynote by Civil War historian Scott Nelson, musical performances, a Civil War encampment by re-enactors, special museum tours, auction of Chamberlain art and paraphernalia, and much more. It was hosted by the Pejepscot Historical Society (www.pejepscothistorical.org). This group shot was taken Thursday evening after we dined at the "Dolphin Marina", Harpswell, Maine.
- Spring Executive Board Meeting-
- Our meeting was held in Gettysburg, PA the weekend of April 9-11. We stayed at the Days INN, on York Road, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA. The hotel is located about three miles from the heart of Gettysburg. Patrick Fairbairn a living historian spoke Saturday at our Gettysburg event. His talk dealt with the role played by William Lloyd Garrison in the abolition of slavery in the United States. Friday; dinner [supper] was at La Bella restaurant. Sat. Meeting, in the morning at the Days Inn; dinner was at the Appalachion Brewing Company. Special thanks go out to all who traveled to the meeting. (Updtd-4/9/2013)
- WCGS General Membership & Executive Board Meetings-
- We recently met in Hampton, VA the weekend of 21-23 September 2012. The meeting and lunch were at the former Hotel Chamberlin, a historic landmark co-located at Fort Monroe. This is where Jefferson Davis was imprisoned following the Civil War. Mr. John V. Quarstein, an expert in colonial Virginia history was our guest speaker. He is an award winning historian, preservationist, and author. Following the meeting we visited the Casemate Museum on Fort Monroe. You can read all about the meeting in the minutes found in the Fall 2012 issue of the Chamberlain Key. The result of the election for the years 2013 and 2014 is that each incumbent office holder who ran was re-elected.(Updtd- 10/8/12)
rear L-R: Ted Chamberlain, Jim Sugg, Don Chamberlin)
Spring Executive Board Meeting- - Our meeting was held in Gettysburg, PA the weekend of May 11-13. We stayed at the Hampton Inn, 1280 York Road, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA, 17325 The hotel is located about three miles from the heart of Gettysburg. Patrick Schroeder, historian at Appomattox Court House National Park spoke Friday evening at our Gettysburg event. His talk dealt with the role played by Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain in Lee's surrender at Appomattox in the waning days of the Civil War. Friday; dinner [supper] was at Farnsworth House. Sat. Meeting, in the morning at the Hampton Inn; lunch at the Dobbins House at 1:15 p.m. Special thanks go out to Neil and Jeannie Chamberlain for all their effort in making the arrangements. (Updtd- 5/13/12)
Spring Executive Board Meeting was held in Salisbury, Maryland May 13-14, 2011. The minutes of that meeting can be found in the Spring 2011 edition of the Chamberlain Key. The meeting had been previously scheduled for Berrien County, Michigan. This change of venue came about when the WCGS recently gained the materials collected by the late Chamberlain researcher Mrs. Alison Ogilvie Ainsworth. (Mrs. Ainsworth died in Salisbury on January 29, 2011.) For 20 plus years Mrs. Ainsworth had headed what we have been calling the CAA(2). Thanks to the cooperation of her husband and son, the complete files and research materials, were entrusted to the WCGS for final delivery to the New England Genealogical and Biographical Society (NEHGS) in Boston. Within this material are portions of the original CAA Chamberlain Collection gathered between 1897 and 1941. We accomplished quite a bit, but much scanning remains to be done.Contact George Richard if you wish to help.
The annual meeting of the WCGS was held in the Spring Hill Suites Hotel, Charleston, South Carolina on September 17, 2011. The meeting convened at 9:25 a.m., Vice-President, Bill Mennel presiding and Executive Secretary, Pat Sugg recording the minutes. The minutes of this meeting will be published in the Fall 2011 edition of the Chamberlain Key newsletter. Executive board and assorted committee reports, Old, and New Business items were discussed. The members present chose to conduct future WCGS meetings in the following locales. 2012 Spring Executive Board, - Gettysburg, PA, Annual 2012- Hampton/Williamsburg, VA, and Annual 2013- San Antonio, TX. Besides conducting the business of the society, we did visit historic Charleston sites. Special thanks are extended to Loren and Marian Chamberlain for their efforts to suggest places to dine and things to see in Charleston. Friday night we gathered for dinner at an Irish Pub and Restaurant for a “get reacquainted” dinner. On Saturday a group lunch followed by a Charleston harbor cruise was the order of the day. Later, wine and cheese offerings were hosted by Loren and Marian before our group dined at a local Italian Restaurant.